For a long tIme now I have been utterly addicted to coconut yoghurt, which is a great dairy alternative but you know sometimes you need a change! So I played with a few nut yoghurt recipes and this one has turned out pretty Yum. it’s so easy to make – you will get a smooth yoghurt – not as thick as with coconut but still creamy and deliish! You can try with other nuts but this one for me is the most versatile and almonds tend to be the most alkaline of all the nuts.
No need to waste the pulp as you can freeze and use as almond flour next time you bake!
yields: about 2-3 servings (double or triple the quantity for more portions)
- 1 heaped cup activated almonds - ideally dried but otherwise use straight after soaking – activate your almonds by soaking them in water overnight or for at least 8 hours and rinse.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or the seeds from 1 vanilla pod (scraped out)
- 1 tsp of culture starter (such as 1 tsp of a live coconut yoghurt) or 2 pro-biotic capsules opened (only use the powder inside and discard the capsule.
- 1+ 3/4 cup warm coconut water (room temperature is perfect for the fermentation process)
- firstly, activate your almonds – this will make them easier to digest and will get rid of the enzyme inhibitor on the skin.
- place all ingredients apart from the vanilla and culture starter in a powerful high-speed blender and blend until creamy
- using a nut milk bag or cheese cloth, milk the almond mixture over a bowl to remove all of the fibre and pulp – keep this pulp in the freezer for baking purposes
- taking the milk, place it back in the blender and add the vanilla and culture starter – blend for a few seconds
- place the liquid in a bowl with a towel over the top in a warm dark place for at least 8 hours – you will see that the liiquid thickens and becomes sour tasting
- place in a glass mason jar and store in the fridge for 3-5 days – remember to burp the jar to release the gasses as the culture will continue to grow – believe me, yoghurt explosions in the fridge are not fun to clean up!!! :0)