My Top 3 Smash Cake Photo-shoot Tips:
- Plan the outfit and make sure that you don’t mind if it gets messy and needs a wash ASAP!
- Have some fun music and toys ready to get baby excited and smiling! I asked my mum to help me “entertain” baby T whilst I shot some pics – a few jumping jacks grandma-style did the trick! :0)
- Decorating the cake for the shoot – you can obviously make the cake your own and decorate with anything you like. Blueberries arranged in a number 1 can make it simple and cute, or you could arrange various fruits into a smiley face – it’s up to you really how the basic cake can be tweaked. Once Frosted, I used some not so healthy decorations just for the photo shoot because it was easy – hundreds and thousands and some little icing butterflies – however, I actually decorated only half of the cake, presenting her the other half to play with :0) Sneaky cheating tip!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 4 ripe large bananas
- 3 ripe figs
- ¾ cup garbanzo bean flour – gluten free
- ¾ cup easy cook oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten free)
- 3 TBS coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lucuma powder – this is a natural sweetener and superfood
- optional chocolate flavour – 1 TBS carob powder
- decorations – as you wish – see my tips above
- prepare your baking tin with coconut oil – use 9 inch
- pre-heat oven at 180 F
- mash banana with melted coconut oil
- sieve flour into a mixing bowl and add all other powders – fold with a wooden spoon
- in a food processor or cake mixer mix all ingredients together until well combined
- spread cake batter into the pan
- Bake for 20 – 24 minutes or until a fork test comes out “crumbly”
- chill the cake in the fridge before “frosting”
FROSTING & DECOR
This is where I actually really “cheated” – I used CoYo’s coconut vegan yogurt with a sprinkle of vanilla powder – this yoghurt is available in most organic food shops in Dubai. It’s very thick and creamy and will easily spread over your cake.
- Mix the yoghurt (I used a 400g tub) and about a tsp of vanilla powder with a fork until well combined
- Place yoghurt in freezer for about an hour to make the cream stiff but not frozen
- Layer the yoghurt over the cake with a spatula until the cake is covered and textured
- Decorate as you wish – see my tips above.